Category Archives: Community

10. Blessing the Church

What motivates a Christian leader? Obedience to God and service to the church. We are not (or should not be) driven by personal ambition or social agendas. It’s that simple… at least in theory. We obey God and bless the … Continue reading

Posted in Christian Living, Community, Contemporary Issues, Women in Ministry | Leave a comment

9. Leadership and Spiritual Authority

In Christ, as taught through the Bible, there is a strong personal/spiritual dimension to leadership and relationships of authority. That is, leadership is exercised from a foundation of spiritual authority. This is the type of authority that Christ teaches to … Continue reading

Posted in Christian Living, Community, Contemporary Issues, Women in Ministry | Leave a comment

8. Jesus’ Teaching or Dysfunctional Situations?

I believe the most important teaching for family and church relationships comes from Jesus. I believe that my way of relating as a man to women and as a husband to my wife should meet the standards Jesus taught for … Continue reading

Posted in Christian Living, Community, Contemporary Issues, Family, Women in Ministry | Leave a comment

A Discernment Process

Discernment – The act or process of exhibiting keen insight and good judgment. – The Free Online Dictionary We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God … Continue reading

Posted in Christian Living, Community, Friends Theology, Guidance, Practical Disciplines | Leave a comment

God is at work in Long Beach (written for Kingdom Causes December 2011 Blog Post)

God is at work in Long Beach. That’s my theory. It’s more than an intellectual thing, actually – it’s a belief. Tied in with my belief in God and trust in Jesus to be one of his children is the … Continue reading

Posted in Community, General, Homelessness | Leave a comment

7. Beginnings

While the precise relationship between the original creation and the new heaven and new earth of biblical prophecy is a matter deserving more extended consideration, it seems clear that in the kingdom of God there is a sense of “undoing” … Continue reading

Posted in Bible Study, Christian Living, Community, Contemporary Issues, Family, Theology, Women in Ministry | Leave a comment

13. Further Reading – Links and References

The main evangelical organizations formed to support particular views on women in family and ministry are good sources of references and information. The complementarian organization is the Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood. The egalitarian organization is Christians for Biblical … Continue reading

Posted in Christian Living, Community, Contemporary Issues, Family, Women in Ministry | Leave a comment

Lectio Divina

Lectio Divina is a way of reading scripture that allows contemplation, listening to the Holy Spirit, and even communion with God in order to more deeply appreciate and integrate scripture into one’s thinking and being. One may receive peace, guidance, … Continue reading

Posted in Community, Friends Theology, Guidance, Practical Disciplines, Prayer | Leave a comment

5. Christian Feminism?

Feminism is not a movement well-regarded by many evangelical Christians today. Most feminist writers today portray religion in general and Christianity in particular as inherently patriarchal and unfair to women. Often Christianity is cast in the role of serving in … Continue reading

Posted in Christian Living, Community, Contemporary Issues, Theology, Women in Ministry | 1 Comment

4. Oppression

Oppression (according to Dictionary.com): the exercise of authority or power in a burdensome, cruel, or unjust manner. an act or instance of oppressing. the state of being oppressed. the feeling of being heavily burdened, mentally or physically, by troubles, adverse … Continue reading

Posted in Christian Living, Community, Contemporary Issues, Theology, Women in Ministry | 1 Comment